Greetings from breakfast at HLS.
I got some of the last of the almond butter…it was really yummy Maranatha. I heard they have it at Costco. 😉 Good thing we just got a membership there.
Coffee was a must. I had a little trouble sleeping last night. Must have been the ghosts in the hotel! I heard it was haunted!
For the first section of the day, I hit up the Sports Nutrition. I love trying to figure out what the best pre and post workout snacks are, so I was really excited about the presentation.
The presentation was by:
- Rebecca Scritchfield of Balanced Health and Nutrition @scritchfieldRD
- Heather Calcote of Dietician on the Run @HeatherdcRD
Here are some slides from the presentation…
We learned a whole lot, but here are some other tips:
- Dehydration is the #1 most likely issue with athletes (Project Hydrate anyone?) 😉
- If you sweat a lot when you work out, you may need salt or a salty snack. (i thought this one was really interesting since I always seem to be so drenched after zumba).
- Carbs are the energy nutrient.
- Tart cherry drinks may be great post-workout snacks – they’ve shown to help with recovery because cherries have an anti-inflammatory antioxidant.
- Chocolate milk is a great recovery drink – studies show that it is better than some sports drinks.
- Bloggers have influence so be sure to use your influence to counter negative diet messages
Having technical difficulties with internet connections, so I’ll have more up later. Cheers!0