Did you guys figure out what yesterday’s mystery breakfast was? I saw at least 1 correct guess and a couple others that were close! Nice job friends!
I concocted a fabulous new TCL recipe – Coco-Loco French Toast Cups with Coconut Cream Sauce.
I used some 12-grain Nature’s Pride bread using a coupon I received as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program to create this recipe in hopes of winning a golden ticket to the Foodbuzz Festival later this year.
My inspiration was my recent trip to the Bahamas where I fell even more in love with all things coconut. I wanted to create a recipe that is something I’d like to eat on a tropical vacation but that would also be fabulous year-round.
Here are some photos from the prep and cooking:
Sopping up the custard.
Ready to bake.
Baked up and golden brown. Now we just need sauce.
Add a splash of exotically sweet coconut cream sauce…
…and a garnish of tropical fruit (I used papaya, but pineapple, mango and/or kiwi would be fabulous, too!)…
…and you’re ready to…
Nommmmm! This recipe was sooo easy and tasty!
These french toast cups would be fabulous:
- as an easy and affordable meal
- to entertain a large group – it’s easy to multiply
- to host a brunch or breakfast
- to bring to a pot luck
- to use up old (but not spoiled) bread
- to serve 2 (just divide everything by 3, use 1/2 cup coconut milk in sauce) – that makes 2 cups per person
- for your dairy-free friends
- for when you want a breakfast that makes you feel like you’re on vacation
Coco-Loco French Toast Cups Recipe
- 6 slices bread, cubed
- 3 eggs
- 6 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients, except the bread.
- Add bread and gently fold bread into custard mixture so the bread even soaks up the custard. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the bread mixture evenly into the muffin cups, pressing gently into the cups.
- Bake 18-22 minutes until the tops are golden brown and the egg is cooked through.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving (careful, it’s hot!).
- During the last 5-10 minutes of cooking, start on the Sweet Coconut Cream Sauce (see recipe below).
- Serve french toast cups with the sweet coconut cream sauce and garnish with fresh tropical fruit and shredded coconut.
Sweet Coconut Cream Sauce Recipe
- 1 can coconut milk (minus the amount needed for the french toast cups)
- 1 1/2 tsp tapioca starch (or corn starch)
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 – 5 tbsp sugar (depending on how sweet you want the sauce)
- Combine coconut milk and sugar in a small pot over medium low heat. (note – once the sugar is dissolved, you can taste-test to see if you want to add more sugar to the sauce)
- Heat till mixture is warmed through, about 5 minutes (careful to not boil).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tapioca starch and water. Add tapioca mixture to the pot and whisk to combine.
- Continue heating till mixture has thickened up (shouldn’t take long, just a minute or 2).
- Serve with french toast cups and enjoy!