I’ve got a new kind of Green Monster muffin in store for you guys…
Ok, there’s no spinach in these, but they are tinted with green thanks to a special ingredient.
Mini Matcha Green Tea Banana Nut Muffins
These Not So Sweet muffins have all the tastiness you’d expect from traditional banana nut muffins with a little twist – matcha green tea flavor. The matcha powder won’t overpower the muffins, but does add a little something extra.
NOTE: I used some extra healthy ingredients that most people may not keep on hand. If you don’t have these ingredients, I encourage you to go buy one or two of them and try them out, but I’ve also added notes for substitutions in case you need them.
Also, I didn’t mix the nuts into the mix because I like how they get toasty on top. You could probably mix in a bit of chopped nuts if you like your muffins extra nutty. Or omit the nuts altogether if you’d like.
Makes 24 mini muffins
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or sub AP flour)
- 1/2 cup spelt flour (or sub AP flour)
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (or sub flour of choice)
- 2 teaspoons matcha green tea powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sucanat (or sub brown sugar for sweeter flavor)
- 1 egg
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- small handful finely chopped walnuts (enough to top the muffins – can sub nut of choice)
- non-stick spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a mini muffin pan with non-stick spray
- In a large bowl, combine both flours, matcha green tea powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate medium bowl, cream together butter and sucanat. Blend in egg, bananas, and vanilla extract until well combined (but try to not overmix).
- Pour web mixture into dry mixture and stir to combine (try to not overmix).
- Using a mini ice cream scoop, fill mini muffin pans just over 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle walnuts on top.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until edges just start to brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool for a couple minutes before serving.