I don’t know about you, but I’m not quite ready to head back to work yet. I could use another morning sleeping in if nothing else. But if you’re like me, and you want something easy and delicious to help ease you back into the daily grind, then look no further.
How about an Individual Italian Spinach Parmesan Egg Bake?
You can make this individual egg bake while you’re getting ready. I know baking things seems complicated, but hear me out. If you made a fried egg, or stovetop oats, you’d have to sit there stirring the darn thing. With this, you spend about 5 minutes or less stirring and the oven does all the heavy lifting without requiring your attention. Winning!
Here’s what you need: an egg, a little milk, some frozen spinach, some parmesan (or click here for a version of this recipe using cheddar)…
…and some Italian spices: basil, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, plus salt and black pepper.
All you need is a little stirring…
…veg serving (with a wee bit of stirring here, too)…
…pour, bake, and…
(don’t worry – there’s a short cut allowing you to skip the excessive stirring)
Breakfast is served!
Individual Italian Spinach Parmesan Egg Bake Recipe
This egg bake recipe looks more complicated than it actually is. I love making this breakfast on even my most busy days. It requires a mere 5 minutes of your attention and then your oven does all the work without needing you. You get the best of both worlds – a tasty breakfast and more time to get ready for work…or whatever lies ahead of you that day. PS: I’ve also made this for a super simple lunch or dinner (paired with whole grain toast). Uh-huh!
Easily customize this recipe by substituting your favorite cheese, vegetable, or spices.
Note: In the photos, I added my egg, milk, spices and stirred, then cheese and stirred, then spinach and stirred – but you can just mix it all up at one time if you’re in a rush, and this recipe is written for a busy morning.
Serves 1 (but easily multiplies to feed more people)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 16-19 minutes (enough time to do your make-up or pack lunch!)
- non-stick spray
- 1 cage free or farm fresh egg
- 1 tablespoon frozen, chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning or dried basil
- pinch of salt
- a bit of fresh-ground pepper
- dash of garlic powder (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- dash of red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you like it)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly spray individual casserole dish(es) with non-stick spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- Pour egg mixture into individual casserole dish (evenly distribute if you multiplied the recipe). Bake until edges are golden brown and egg is set in the middle, about 16-19 minutes (depending oven temperature, etc.). Note: I used a toothpick to check doneness, sort of like you would for cake.
- Serve with a tasty carb like zucchini muffins or whole grain toast. Enjoy!
If this doesn’t make a post-vacation work week better, I don’t know what will.
Reader question: How long do you spend making and eating breakfast during the work week?