Take a regular bowl of oatmeal over-the-top with a cookie dough flavor. It’s slightly less healthy than most bowls of oats, but way better for you than a handful of cookies in the morning. This recipe errs on the healthy side, so feel free to add a little extra sugar and/or butter if you want a richer flavor. Oh, and I added in some nuts for protein (to help you stay fuller longer), but feel free to skip if you don’t like nuts).
*Easily made vegan if you use vegan milk, butter, and chocolate chip substitutes*
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup milk or non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon butter (or sub Earth Balance for vegan option)
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla (or just a couple drops)
- chopped pecans (or other nut), about 1-2 tablespoons
- chocolate chips, about 1 teaspoon (I used the mini version) (or sub vegan chocolate chips)
- In a small non-stick pot, combine oats, milk, water, brown sugar, chia seeds (if using), and butter. Stir to distribute brown sugar. Cook over medium low heat until liquid is absorbed to your liking.
- Stir in vanilla and pecans, reserving a couple pecans to add on top in the next step.
- Pour oatmeal into a bowl, top with reserved pecans and as many chocolate chips as you like (the heat from the oats will help the chocolate chips to soften).
Microwave Variation: You can also make this flavor in the microwave. Just cook your microwave oats as normal, stir in butter, brown sugar, vanilla, pecans at the end and top with chocolate chips and reserved pecans.