Matcha green tea powder adds a subtle, yet intoxicating flavor punch to the regular green monster smoothie. And for those who don’t know, a green monster smoothie is one made with spinach! Trust me, you can’t taste it. This recipe is a great way to start your day right – with a serving of fruit and veggies, plus matcha green tea goodness. I added yogurt to this smoothie for the protein (to help me stay full) and probiotics (because they’re good for you), but you could substitute additional milk.
*Vegetarian, Vegan if you use vegan milk and yogurt*
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder, to taste (I really like matcha, so I went with 1 teaspoon)
- 1 banana (a frozen banana will give you a thicker consistency, but non-frozen works, too)
- 1/4 cup frozen spinach (or 1 1/2 -2 cups loosely packed, fresh baby spinach)
- 1 individual vanilla yogurt, preferably organic (or sub milk if you don’t want to use yogurt, use coconut or soy milk yogurt for vegan option)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (use vanilla/sweetened rice milk for extra sweetness or use plain/dairy milk and add sweetener of choice, if desired) – add additional milk if you want a more liquidy texture.
- 2 cubes ice
- additional sweetener of choice, optional/if needed (I didn’t need it, but flavor your smoothie to your taste)
- Place matcha powder, banana, spinach, yogurt, milk (plus sweetener if using), and ice in a blender.
- Note: place matcha powder in the blender first so it gets covered with other ingredients. This helps keep the powder from blowing around the blender when you turn it on.
- Cover and blend until banana/spinach/ice is processed and smooth, and the matcha is well-incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!