Breakfast Strawberry Shortcake for One I took my dessert strawberry shortcake recipe and switched up the ingredients to make it more breakfast-friendly. I used a whole grain flour, added oats, skipped macerating the strawberries, and substituted yogurt for the whipped cream. You could probably make this even healthier by substituting a good oil (maybe coconut?) for the butter (and please report back if you do). Oh, and I took almost all of the sugar out of this baby, so if you like your breakfast sweeter, by all means, add your preferred sweetener, to taste. *Vegetarian, Vegan Options Listed*
- 1/4 cup spelt flour (or flour of choice)
- 2 tablespoons oats
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, cold (or sub vegan substitute, like Earth Balance)
- 3 tablespoons milk (or vegan non-dairy milk)
- 3-4 strawberries, tops removed, sliced
- 1 small container vanilla, Greek yogurt (or yogurt of choice or vegan yogurt, like a coconut-milk-based option) – or sub plain yogurt and add sweetener of choice, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk (or use a fork) to evenly combine.
- Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is in small bits (about the size of rice grains or pop rocks…yea, I said pop rocks).
- Gently stir in the milk/non-dairy milk until just combined (careful to not over-mix, but do ensure all flour combined into dough).
- Form dough into a ball-shape and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown on top and cooked through (if a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).
- Allow to cool to room temperature. Cut shortcake in half. Top bottom half of shortcake with strawberries. Stir yogurt to desired texture and spoon as much as you’d like (I used about half the container) over the strawberries. Top yogurt with top half of shortcake and enjoy.