Here’s a healthy version of the famous Piña Colada (sans alcohol) – a single serving smoothie! I added a handful of baby kale for a quick way to get some greens in my eats, but you could sub regular kale or baby spinach. Or, you could skip the greens for a non-Green-Monster, but still-delicious smoothie. Bananas aren’t in most Piña Coladas, but I like them as a base ingredient for my smoothies.
- 1 cup loosely packed baby kale or sub regular kale, baby spinach (or sub 1/4 cup frozen kale/spinach)
- 1 banana (a frozen banana will give you a thicker consistency, but non-frozen works, too)
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple pieces
- 1/2 cup canned light (non-light would probably work, too) coconut milk (shake the can well first)
- ice cubes, optional, use as needed to get preferred texture (I didn’t use any)
- sweetener of choice, to taste, optional (but you probably won’t need it – the pineapple and bananas are very sweet naturally)
- In order: place baby kale, banana, pineapple, and coconut milk in the blender.
- Cover and blend until ingredients are processed and smooth, about 1-2 minutes (if you need to make the smoothie thicker, stop and add a couple ice cubes and blend again until smoothie starts blending and/or reaches desired texture, repeat as needed). Taste test and if desired, blend in sweetener of choice to taste.
- For a pretty look, garnish with a pineapple wedge and some coconut flakes. Enjoy!
It’s easy to multiply this recipe to make more servings!