Make a big batch of quinoa cooked simply in water, and this breakfast will come together in a jiffy. I like to cook one batch and use it for multiple purposes like this breakfast. Just toss the ingredients below in a small pot and cook until it’s the consistency you like. So easy! As it thickens, the quinoa gets nice and creamy. I’ve given you some portion ideas, but you can tweak this recipe to suit your appetite. I can’t eat a lot before I work out, so I made a very small amount since I like this before Zumba class, but just adjust as you prefer. Try fresh blueberries when they’re in season.
*Vegetarian, Vegan options listed*
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh should work – I used frozen wild blueberries that were a little smaller than most)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (I used rice milk; use vegan milk for vegan option)
- 1 teaspoon honey (or sub agave/maple syrup/etc. for vegan option) for a lightly sweet flavor, add more if needed
- dash or two ground cinnamon
- small pinch salt
- sliced almonds, optional, for garnish and texture
- Combine quinoa, blueberries, milk, honey, cinnamon, and salt in a small, non-stick pot. Heat over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until quinoa has reached your desired consistency. Note: Exact time will vary on your consistency preference and stove heat.
- Serve in a small bowl and top with sliced almonds (or your other favorite ingredients). Wait until it’s safely cooled to eat and enjoy!
The cook time will be approximately 10-20 minutes, depending on your stove heat and preferred texture.