This Spiced Cauliflower and Chickpea Soup Recipe makes for a light but flavorful dinner and is perfect for a cold, winter night. The simple addition of garam masala gives the soup a beautiful, spiced taste. Serve with toasted whole grain bread. I’m currently loving the multigrain sourdough from Trader Joe’s.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 2 stalks celery, chopped small
- 2 large carrots, chopped small
- 1/2 large head cauliflower, cut into about 1 inch florets
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped small
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon shallot salt (or sub onion salt)
- 1 box vegetable broth
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with juices
- chopped fresh parsley, optional, for garnish
- Pre-heat a large pot over medium heat. When ready, add olive oil, onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, garam masala, and shallot salt, and stir together until garlic is fragrant, about 60 seconds.
- Add broth, chickpeas, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook until flavors have combined and cauliflower is tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Note: Looking for a shortcut? Pick up a mire poix from Trader Joe’s – pre cut onions, celery, and carrots for about $3.