Make this Healthy Breakfast Cookies Recipe for breakfast…or dessert! Your choice! They also make for a great snack any time of day.
- 1 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or sub half table salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or sub raw cane sugar)
- 1 flaxseed egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (or sub nut of choice)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (or sub dried fruit of choice)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare one large (or two small) baking sheet(s) with parchment paper. Note: I could bake all the cookies in one batch with 1 large baking sheet because mine did not spread out.
- In a large bowl, add oats, spelt flour, salt, and baking soda. Whisk to evenly combine.
- In a medium bowl mix banana, oil, and coconut sugar. Add the flaxseed egg and vanilla. Whisk to evenly combine.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and gently mix with a large spatula. Fold in walnuts and cherries.
- Using a medium sized sorbet scoop (2 tablespoon), scoop dough and evenly distribute on baking sheets, leaving about 3 inches of space in between each ball of dough.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until edges are slightly brown. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheets to room temperature. Enjoy!