The Green Monster signature ingredient is spinach (or kale). The vegetable is almost tasteless and imparts that gorgeous green color on the smoothie. Fun, right? Add more spinach for a deeper green color.
It’s a healthy smoothie (with both a fruit and vegetable serving) hiding behind a handful of cookies. Sneaky, sneaky! 😉
*Vegan if you use vegan cookies*
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups loosely packed spinach (or kale)
- 1 banana (a frozen banana will give you a thicker consistency, but non-frozen works, too)
- 1 cup vanilla non-dairy milk, sweetened (or use unsweetened milk, dairy or non-dairy – just also add a drop of vanilla and your sweetener of choice, to taste)
- 2 cubes ice
- 1/4 cup chocolate cookies (or sub chocolate/vanilla sandwich cookies and use non-sweetened milk and vanilla extract – see notes)
- Place spinach, banana, milk, and ice in the blender.
- Cover and blend until banana/ice is processed and smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add cookies to the blender, re-cover, and blend until cookies are chopped finely, about 30-60 seconds. Optional – sprinkle an extra cookie, crushed into crumbs/small pieces, on top before serving.
Easily multiplies for additional servings, if needed!
I found some great chocolate cookies at Trader Joe’s that were not only tasty and crunchy but also not as filled with chemicals and additives as some other options.