This egg bake recipe looks more complicated than it actually is. I love making this breakfast on even my most busy days. It requires a mere 5 minutes of your attention and then your oven does all the work without needing you. You get the best of both worlds – a tasty breakfast and more time to get ready for work…or whatever lies ahead of you that day. PS: I’ve also made this for a super simple lunch or dinner (paired with whole grain toast). Uh-huh!
- 1 cage free or farm fresh egg
- 1 tablespoon frozen, chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning or dried basil
- pinch of salt
- a bit of fresh-ground pepper
- dash of garlic powder (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- dash of red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you like it)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly coat an individual casserole dish with butter (rub solid stick in the dish or brush with melted butter).
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- Pour egg mixture into individual casserole dish (evenly distribute if you multiplied the recipe). Bake until edges are golden brown and egg is set in the middle, about 16-19 minutes (depending oven temperature, etc.).
- Note: I used a toothpick to check doneness, sort of like you would for cake.
- Serve with a tasty carb like zucchini muffins or whole grain toast. Enjoy!
Easily customize this recipe by substituting your favorite cheese, vegetable, or spices.
Note: In the photos, I added my egg, milk, spices and stirred, then cheese and stirred, then spinach and stirred – but you can just mix it all up at one time if you’re in a rush, and this recipe is written for a busy morning.