If you have the time and ingredients, I’d probably just bake up a whole batch of corn bread or corn muffins. But, if you’re ever feeling a little lazy, cooking for just yourself, or running low on baking ingredients, definitely give this recipe a whirl. This Cornbread Minis Recipe is just a little faster and more convenient…and, is even made without eggs or butter, thanks to the Depression-Cake trick I learned recently in my cake mini recipe.
The recipe makes enough for two people who want a small piece of corn bread or for one person who wants a lot (or another for later). They’re perfect with chili or even with breakfast.
*Vegetarian* *Vegan options listed below*
- 3 tablespoons corn meal
- 2 tablespoons flour of choice (I like unbleached all purpose for this one)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons milk (or use vegan substitute)
- 1 tablespoon flavorless oil (for example: canola)
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two ramekins with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine and then whisk together corn meal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda until even distributed.
- In another medium bowl, combine and then whisk together milk, oil, and vinegar until evenly mixed.
- Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined, careful to not overmix. Batter will be lumpy. Evenly distribute batter between the two ramekins.
- Bake 14-16 minutes, or until top is just golden brown and corn bread is cooked through (when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).