These patriotic-themed muffins are made with raspberries, cream cheese, and blueberries. They’re perfect for a Fourth of July or Memorial Day brunch get-together.
*Vegetarian, Vegan options*
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 rectangular box cream cheese (about 4 ounces) (or sub vegan cream cheese substitute)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened (or sub vegan option like Earth Balance)
- 2 eggs (or flaxseed eggs)
- 1 cup buttermilk (or vegan milk substitute with 1-3 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar – Vegetarian Times suggests 2 teaspoons)
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries (or fresh)
- 3/4 cup frozen raspberries (or fresh)
- Place cream cheese in the freezer (to make it easier to cut) just before (about 5-10 minutes) prepping other items.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray or liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine.
- Cut the cream cheese into small pieces (think about the size you’d want to take a bite out of in your muffin). Add cream cheese bits to the flour and lightly toss in to coat.
- Mix butter and sugar (it will resemble wet sand). Add buttermilk and eggs and stir until well combined.
- Add wet to dry and mix till just combined (careful to not overmix).
- Stir in blueberries and raspberries.
- Evenly distribute in muffin tin (cups will be pretty full).
- Bake 20-24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool to safe temperature. Serve and enjoy!
Makes 12 muffins