Baked Apple Cider Doughnuts are surprisingly easy to make and yield a healthier option to the traditional fried version. Made with sweet apple cider and spiced cinnamon, these will make your house small like fall and make your heart feel happy. These doughnuts are light and fluffy, though you can skip the vinegar for a more cake-like texture (pictured below). Did I mention they are pretty fast, too? Wouldn’t you like from-scratch doughnuts in only 20 minutes? I know I do! *Vegetarian, Vegan options listed below*
- butter, oil, or non-stick spray (to prep baking pan)
- 3/4 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (I’ve also used spelt flour with great results)
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons (preferably raw sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon, plus 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 large egg (or sub flaxseed egg)
- 2 tablespoons milk (or sub vegan milk substitute)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Rub a 6-count doughnut pan with butter (or brush with oil or use non-stick spray).
- In a medium-large bowl, add flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In another medium-large bowl, whisk together apple cider and egg. Add milk, canola oil, vanilla extract, and white vinegar and whisk to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and gently mix until just combined (careful to not over-mix).
- Evenly distribute in doughnut pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until doughnuts are cooked through (when a toothpick inserted into the doughnut comes out clean). (Mine were perfect at 9 minutes, but oven temperatures can vary, so check at 8 minutes)
- In a small bowl, whisk together (or stir with fork) 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon until cinnamon is evenly mixed in. When doughnuts are safe to tough, but while they’re still warm, dip each side into the cinnamon-sugar mixture, pressing and twisting to get good coverage.
- Serve and enjoy!