Skip toxic food colors and make this naturally red Turmeric Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe. This clean eating recipe is made with anti-inflammatory ingredients and tastes delicious!
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup spelt flour, or sub unbleached white flour
- 1-2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 medium mashed overripe bananas (about 1 cup worth, after mashing)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 flaxseed eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tablespoons water, set aside to get for at least 10 minutes)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, prepare the flaxseed egg.
- Add unbleached flour, spelt flour, turmeric, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a medium bowl and whisk together. Add dark chocolate chips and whisk in.
- In a large bowl, mix banana and coconut sugar together until evenly combined. Stir in the flaxseed egg till combined. Stir in olive oil until combined. Add almond milk and vanilla extract and stir until evenly combined.
- Pour dry ingredient mixture into the wet ingredient mixture, and stir gently just to combine – careful to not over-mix.
- Pour/spoon muffin batter into muffin cups – about ¾ full each. Use spatula to flatten tops if needed.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until centers set or a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool at least 10-15 minutes, or until safe to eat, before serving. Enjoy!
Note: The turmeric + baking soda is what turns these muffins naturally red. I don’t think you’ll get the same result if you sub baking powder, so stick to the recipe if you want the same red color.