This is the original green monster muffin recipe! Most spinach muffins are savory but these are sweet! Forget artificial colors, these muffins are naturally a beautiful, vibrant green color thanks to the surprise ingredient – spinach! Sneak vegetables into your loved ones eats with this easy muffin recipe. The green color makes these great for Halloween or St. Patrick’s Day!
- 3/4 cup oat flour (note: you could probably sub flours of do 1 1/2 cups total of a single flour, instead of 2, if you’d like)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 single serving applesauce (or 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup PACKED, triple washed baby spinach, chopped by food processor into small bits (see photos above)
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 – 1 tsp lemon zest (depending on how lemon-y you want it)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, plus extra for topping, optional ingredient
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Add dry ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk together.
- Whisk to beat egg and sugar together till light (I did this by hand for just a couple minutes).
- Whisk in the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Pour dry ingredient mixture into the wet ingredient mixture, add 1/4 cup walnuts if desired, and stir gently just to combine – do not over-mix.
- Pour muffin batter into muffin tin cups – about 3/4 full each. If using walnuts, sprinkle walnuts on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes until centers set or a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool until safe to touch and enjoy!
Check the comments below for some great mixin and substitution ideas by readers! My favorite suggestion is to add blueberries. Yum!
Don’t skip the lemon zest for the best flavor!