A real blueberry pie would take you at least an hour to make. This one takes 10 minutes from start to finish (and yes, that even includes clean-up time!). I took the best flavors of blueberry pie and healthified it for an antioxidant-packed smoothie that is sure to get your day started on the right foot.
A twitter friend suggested using almond milk to help keep the smoothie from congealing (blueberries tend to make smoothies congeal), though dairy and other non-dairy milks will work (I made mine with soy).
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk (or other non-dairy or dairy milk), sweetened (or use unsweetened milk, dairy or non-dairy – just also add a drop of vanilla and your sweetener of choice, to taste) – see notes above
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (you can use fresh, but the frozen will give you a thicker texture)
- 2 ice cubes
- dash of cinnamon, to taste
- Combine milk and oats in a medium bowl/pyrex and let rest in refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- Combine milk/oat mixture, blueberries, ice cubes, and cinnamon in a blender. Blend till ingredients are combined and smooth, about 1-2 minutes, or until smoothie reaches your desired consistency.
Easily multiply the recipe if you need to make additional servings.
This smoothie is especially great with blueberries fresh from your local farmers market!