Sometimes you want to eat pie for breakfast. And while I’m a big fan of dessert for breakfast, realistically, you don’t want all that heaviness and sugary-sweetness tumbling around in your stomach all morning. Seriously, it will weigh you down and make you feel tired, and really, who wants that to start the day with that feeling? But, I have a solution! Read on for my Healthy Blueberry Pie Smoothie Recipe.
My ideal breakfast is tasty, but also contains good-for-you, energy-boosting ingredients that will power you through whatever obstacles you have ahead of you with the agility of a ninja.
So, with all this in mind, I worked a little magic for you and came up with this…
Healthy Blueberry Pie Smoothie Recipe
I took out the butter, oil, and much of the sugar, and replaced it with whole grains and milk.
Start with whole grain rolled oats and milk.
Pour oats into your milk…
…place in the fridge and let rest 5 minutes. This will help the oats get a little tender so the texture is better in your smoothie. This is the hardest step. Seriously…now all you have to do is combine your ingredients and blend away.Print
A real blueberry pie would take you at least an hour to make. This one takes 10 minutes from start to finish (and yes, that even includes clean-up time!). I took the best flavors of blueberry pie and healthified it for an antioxidant-packed smoothie that is sure to get your day started on the right foot.
A twitter friend suggested using almond milk to help keep the smoothie from congealing (blueberries tend to make smoothies congeal), though dairy and other non-dairy milks will work (I made mine with soy).
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk (or other non-dairy or dairy milk), sweetened (or use unsweetened milk, dairy or non-dairy – just also add a drop of vanilla and your sweetener of choice, to taste) – see notes above
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (you can use fresh, but the frozen will give you a thicker texture)
- 2 ice cubes
- dash of cinnamon, to taste
- Combine milk and oats in a medium bowl/pyrex and let rest in refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- Combine milk/oat mixture, blueberries, ice cubes, and cinnamon in a blender. Blend till ingredients are combined and smooth, about 1-2 minutes, or until smoothie reaches your desired consistency.
Easily multiply the recipe if you need to make additional servings.
This smoothie is especially great with blueberries fresh from your local farmers market!
Pin by Lucy with a nice variation
You may also like these blueberry recipes:
- Refreshing Blueberry Chia Fizz Drink – a TCL Recipe
- Grain Free Blueberry Streusel Cake by the Purely Twins
- Hot Blueberry Honey Quinoa Breakfast Quinoa – a TCL Recipe
- The Best Glazed Mixed Berry Scones by Averie Cooks
- Healthier Blueberry Streusel Muffins – a TCL Recipe
Hope you enjoy this Healthy Blueberry Pie Smoothie Recipe!
Have you ever eaten dessert for breakfast? What did you eat?