These healthy Coconut Cake Batter Doughnuts are made without refined sugars. Even the frosting! Try this for a fun dessert variation that is ready in 30 minutes or less.
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon Earth Balance, melted and cooled – keep separated
- 3/4 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, plus more for topping, optional
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles, plus more for topping, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk (I used macadamia)
- 1 flaxseed egg (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Nikki’s Vanilla Cake Batter Coconut Butter
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush a 6-count doughnut pan with 1 teaspoon melted Earth Balance.
- In a medium-large bowl, add flour, coconut sugar, 1/4 cup coconut flakes, 2 tablespoons sprinkles (if using), baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In another medium-large bowl, whisk together non-dairy milk and egg. Add melted and cooled Earth Balance, vanilla extract, and white vinegar and whisk to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and gently mix until just combined (careful to not over-mix).
- Evenly distribute in doughnut pan. Bake for 7-10 minutes, until doughnuts are cooked through (when a toothpick inserted into the doughnut comes out clean).
- When doughnuts are cool, prep the frosting. In a bowl that the doughnuts can lay flat in, add Nikki’s Vanilla Cake Batter Coconut Butter and heat in the microwave until just melted, start with 10 seconds and add 2-5 until just melted. Whisk until smooth.
- Dip the smooth top of the doughnut into the coconut butter. Top with sprinkles if using. Top with coconut flakes, if using.
- Serve and enjoy!
To make a flaxseed egg: before beginning the recipe, mix 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons water. Let sit at least 10 minutes.
Note: Most likely the sprinkles you use will not be refined sugar free if you need the finished doughnuts to be 100% refined sugar free.