I lightened up a classic blondie recipe and added whole grains to make a healthier, more clean eating style blondie recipe. This version is made with spelt flour and coconut sugar and is also an easy cleanish eating vegan dessert.
- 1 cup spelt flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips (use vegan version to keep the recipe vegan)
- ½ cup vegan butter, melted and cooled (I used Earth Balance)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 flaxseed egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water, set aside)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper (for easy removal).
- Prepare flaxseed egg and melt vegan butter, if you haven’t already.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine evenly. Whisk in chocolate chips.
- In a medium bowl, whisk vegan butter and coconut sugar until combined evenly. Whisk in flaxseed egg and vanilla extract until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake until the blondies are cooked through (when a toothpick inserted comes out clean), about 20-24 minutes. Cool for about 2-3 hours (or 1 hour if you’re impatient like me), cut, serve, and enjoy!
Placing the baking dish on a trivet to cool so air can circulate under the pan can help expedite the cool down time. If you’re anxious to eat your blondies. Not that I did this because I was so excited about eating my freshly baked blondies.
Keywords: Healthy Dessert, Dessert, chocolate, bar