This Healthy Easy Oat Pie Crust Recipe is my attempt to make a pie crust that is slightly more healthy than traditional pie crusts. Rather than using lots of flour, this crust is made with oats, flaxseed, and chia seeds. This crust has a slightly chewy texture that I really enjoy. I hope you like it, too!
Yields: 1 9-inch pie crust
*Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-Free*
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 6 teaspoons water
- 1 1/2 cup instant oats
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub agave syrup)
- 1/2 cup oil (safflower, canola, or other non-flavored oil)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a pie dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix 2 teaspoons chia seeds and 6 teaspoons water and set aside to gel up for at least 5 minutes.
- Whisk together oats, flaxseed meal, coconut flakes, and salt till evenly combined.
- Stir in agave, oil, hot water, and chia seed mixture until well combined and ingredients are evenly distributed (but don’t over-mix).
- Pour into a pie dish and press mixture into bottom and up sides of dish. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until top edge just starts to turn golden brown. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Fill with your favorite pie filling – try this yummy Coconut Pumpkin Pie recipe (click).
Keywords: Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Refined-Sugar-Free