The last time I made this Healthy and Easy Oat Pie Crust Recipe, it was to make two shallow vegan coconut cream pies (click to view recipe). I had plans to make a pumpkin-pie-with-a-twist on Thanksgiving day, so I decided to see how the crust would work a) as one not-shallow pie and b) with the pumpkin pie experiment I was developing. As it turns out, both worked great!
I thought it would be best to post the pie crust separate from the new pumpkin pie recipe (which will be next) since it goes with many types of pies. I also wanted to repost the crust recipe with updated photos and instructions for a single pie. I haven’t tried making a single non-shallow single coconut cream pie yet, but maybe I’ll do that next. Till then, I know the two-pie method yields delicious results.
Healthy Easy Oat Pie Crust Recipe (Vegan, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free)
This oat pie crust was a total accident. I was trying to make a healthy snack by forming this concotion into bite-sized balls. But it didn’t turn out like I wanted.
So I turned it into something else…
A healthy pie crust that is naturally:
Not bad for an accident!
Healthy Easy Oat Pie Crust Recipe Ingredients
I wanted to see if I could make a crust recipe that was made of health-boosting, whole food ingredients. Turns out, these work really nicely together!
- chia seeds – helps the crust stick together while adding nutrients, protein, fiber, and health fats
- water – this is to help get the chia seeds nice and gel-y
- instant oats – this is the main ingredient and serves as a healthy, gluten-free foundation for this crust
- flaxseed meal – a lovely flour replacement
- coconut flakes – adds an interesting texture
- salt – for flavor haha
- maple syrup (or sub agave syrup): a nice refined-sugar free option – the liquid helps the crust come together
- oil of choice (avocado, safflower, canola, or other non-flavored oil) – my current fave is avocado oil as of 2022
- hot water
All of these ingredients are naturally gluten-free, but you should check the labels of each ingredient if you need to be 100% sure.
How Many Pies Does This Make?
You can use this Healthy Oat Crust recipe to make two shallow pies or one deep-dish.
I initially used this to make two shallow pies. But in recent years, I like using it to make one deep dish.
A Note on Pre-Baking This Healthy Oat Crust
The directions below suggest baking the crust before adding any filling.
Reader Sharlene wrote in asking if she should pre-bake the crust before making the Coconut Pumpkin Pie Recipe. I tested this out on Thanksgiving 2022 by *not* pre-baking, and I thought this came out best.
So here’s my recommendation on whether you should bake the crust or not:
- If the filling will be baked: you should *not* pre-bake this Healthy Oat Crust Recipe
- If the filling will *not* be baked: you *should* pre-bake this Healthy Oat Crust Recipe
Healthy Easy Oat Pie Crust Recipe (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Refined-Sugar-Free)
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
This Healthy Easy Oat Pie Crust Recipe is my attempt to make a pie crust that is slightly more healthy than traditional pie crusts. Rather than using lots of flour, this crust is made with oats, flaxseed, and chia seeds. This crust has a slightly chewy texture that I really enjoy. I hope you like it, too!
Yields: 1 9-inch pie crust
*Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-Free*
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 6 teaspoons water
- 1 1/2 cup instant oats
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub agave syrup)
- 1/2 cup oil (safflower, canola, or other non-flavored oil)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a pie dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix 2 teaspoons chia seeds and 6 teaspoons water and set aside to gel up for at least 5 minutes.
- Whisk together oats, flaxseed meal, coconut flakes, and salt till evenly combined.
- Stir in agave, oil, hot water, and chia seed mixture until well combined and ingredients are evenly distributed (but don’t over-mix).
- Pour into a pie dish and press mixture into bottom and up sides of dish. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until top edge just starts to turn golden brown. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Fill with your favorite pie filling – try this yummy Coconut Pumpkin Pie recipe (click).
Filling recipes to try:
Coconut Pumpkin Pie with Creamy Coconut Sauce
Keywords: Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Refined-Sugar-Free
I shared my pumpkin pie with a twist recipe next. Check out my Coconut Pumpkin Pie Recipe here! Stay tuned for that plus two recipes using your Thanksgiving leftovers!
More Healthy Holiday Recipes
Healthy Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Recipe
Healthy Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts
Healthy Pumpkin Pie Spice Granola Recipe (No Oil or Refined Sugar!) *Vegan*
3 Healthy Thanksgiving Leftover Recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Thanks for reading! Hope you like this Healthy Easy Oat Pie Crust Recipe!
Reader question: What kind of pie filling do you think would best go with this Healthy Easy Oat Pie Crust Recipe?
2 thoughts on “Healthy Easy Oat Pie Crust Recipe (Vegan, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free)”
I think a carob pie would be good
Great suggestion! 🙂 Thank you!