Here’s a great meal idea for the weekend – this clean eating Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe. Hey – a recipe post finally!
I know I’ve mentioned having a few recipes queued up, but you’ve probably noticed that I haven’t been posting them very fast. I’m trying to focus more on putting out quality recipes than throwing up a recipe post for the sake of of blogging quickly. Not to mention, I have to read through my chicken-scratch notes and decipher all the scribbles and what not. I’ve found I have a couple recipes that I’m going to need to re-make so I can ensure I have accurate information for the recipe. I also have a couple recipes (like the Breakfast Cookies I mentioned on Facebook) that I’d like to continue tweaking. I’m trying to focus more on quality than quantity, but that’s not always the fastest method. Thanks for your patience! 🙂
(Now, watch me make more errors in the next couple recipes than ever before…Murphy’s law!)
But, back to this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe. I first made this soup so long ago, I’m going to be honest – I don’t remember exactly how it came about. I do remember having leftover rotisserie chicken and being on somewhat of a tex-mex kick. It was also January, and I was craving something cozy and warm…like soup.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is hardly even a recipe, really. You just toss all the ingredients in a slow cooker and turn it on. But, since I know people like ingredient measurements and cook times, I’ll go ahead and share mine.
Tip: substitute cooked turkey if you’re looking to transform your Thanksgiving or Christmas leftovers.Print
Here’s a great way to use up leftover cooked (or rotisserie) chicken, which gets transformed into this tasty, tex-mex style soup thanks to some simple ingredients and a slow cooker. Anywho, this recipe is pretty forgiving. I added my favorite tex-mex ingredients, but feel free to switch your faves in/out.
- 4 cups chicken broth/stock (1 32-ounce box)
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken (I used about 1/2 a leftover rotisserie chicken but any type will do)
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 large onion (or 1 small), chopped (about 1 cup-ish)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt (err on the side of using less if you’re going to top your soup with tortilla chips)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pepper, to taste
- grated cheese, optional, to top the soup
- tortilla chips, optional, to top the soup
- fresh cilantro, chopped, optional, to top the soup
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours, until vegetables are tender to your liking. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Note: Remember to go light on the salt if you’re topping your soup with tortilla chips.
- Serve with your preferred toppings, like grated cheese, tortilla chips, and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Serves approximately 4-6, depending on serving size.
Definitely serve this with tortilla chips. I went low on the salt on this recipe since tortilla chips are already so salty. If you skip the tortilla chips, you may want to add some additional salt, to taste. Oh, and please add some cheese. The hot soup, crispy tortilla chips and melty cheese is what really made this dish special for me.
More Clean Eating Recipes to Love
By the way, would anyone be interested in a stove-top (and faster) version of this recipe? I’d be happy to play with a different preparation method. Leave me a comment if you are.
Click the photo above for 8 easy and delicious ways to transform your Thanksgiving leftovers into delicious new eats!
Click here for free TCL updates – you can even get them delivered to your email inbox!
Hope you enjoy this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe!
Reader questions: Are you planning to make anything fun food-wise this weekend? What are your favorite tex-mex ingredients?
Share this on Pinterest 😉