Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe {Happy National Hot Chocolate Day}

Get some cocoa powder, coconut milk, and other milk of choice on your way home from work/school/etc. because you’re going to want to celebrate…

National Hot Chocolate Day with this Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe!

Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe

I heard about the holiday on twitter earlier and decided to whip up something for the special event. I actually tried googling to learn more about the holiday, but as it turns out (like it does with many of these food or at least lesser-known holidays) there are multiple National Hot Chocolate Days. But who needs a legit holiday to celebrate something as simple as hot chocolate, right?

That’s what I’m going with…

Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe

WIth my newly-found excuse to make hot chocolate, I decided to work up a recipe for something else inspired by twitter – coconut milk hot chocolate. I tried this once a year or so ago when I heard a twitter friend mention it on a particularly cold and dreary day, except I used 100% coconut milk for the recipe. As it turns out, too much of a good thing really can be…well, not so good. The full-coconut milk hot chocolate was just so-so. I found it to be too thick and rich (perhaps because I was using the canned version instead of the carton type?).

Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe

Lesson learned. This time, I followed my trick for making oatmeal with coconut milk – I went 50% coconut milk and 50% something else. When I make oatmeal, the other 50% is usually water. Today, for the hot cocoa, I decided to use some rice milk.

Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe

And since I was feeling really festive, I also whipped up (literally) some whipped cream for the top. Mmm…

Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe

Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate {Happy National Hot Chocolate Day}

Cook time
Total time

It doesn’t have to be National Hot Chocolate Day for you to enjoy this cozy drink. Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate yields a tasty twist on this classic dessert beverage. As for making the drink from scratch…For most of my life I used packaged hot chocolate mixes to make hot chocolate, but from-scratch really takes very little additional effort.
*Vegetarian, Vegan if you use vegan milks and whipped cream*
Author:
Recipe type: Drinks
Serves: 1
Ingredients
  • ½ cup coconut milk (canned), or sub carton version for a lighter flavor or sub other milk of choice if you really want
  • ½ cup rice milk, plus 1-2 tablespoons (or sub other milk of choice, but please read above story before using coconut here, too)
  • 2 rounded teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • sweetener of choice, to taste (I used about 1 teaspoon of agave syrup)
  • whipped cream, optional, for serving
Instructions
  1. Place coconut milk and ½ cup rice milk in a small pot over medium low heat.
  2. Meanwhile, place cocoa powder and extra tablespoon of rice milk in a small bowl. Whisk until a paste/thick mixture forms and powder is absorbed. Add additional tablespoon of rice milk, if needed.
  3. Whisk cocoa mixture into milk mixture. Heat till hot but not boiling.
  4. Pour into a mug and top with whipped cream, if using.
  5. Serve and enjoy once the drink is cool enough to safely drink.
Notes
I made mine stovetop, but you could easily adjust the recipe to make it quicker in the microwave. Oh, and if you’re feeling particularly lazy, you can try skipping the step of mixing the cocoa powder in a separate bowl by putting it straight in the pot…however, I find that usually creates lumps making the extra step useful. And I only used 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder, which I thought tasted plenty rich, true chocoholics may want to add 1-2 additional teaspoons.

***

Pinspiration:

Pinterest Pin of this Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe

Pin by Monica with a tip about using water instead of rice milk

Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe

Enjoy!

***

PS: It’s the last day of Eat in Month! Gotta admit…I can’t wait to eat out again! lol

***

Reader question: Are you celebrating National Hot Chocolate Day today? Do you prefer “regular” hot chocolate or a particular flavor?

Comments

1. Dione says

No, I’m not celebrating it, since I didn’t know it existed:) But you sure did give me a craving for some. I love the combination of coconut and chocolate. It’s funny that coconut seems to be one of those things that people love or hate. I inherited my mother’s love of it though…there were often chocolate coconut fingers (they’re called Ruffles) in our house, and I’m often tempted to buy some when I go grocery shopping.
    I love After Eight hot chocolate…mint and chocolate is another favorite:)

I was reading this post last night and coincidentally was drinking hot cocoa at the SAME time! Haha! Mine was almond milk and dutch process cocoa with some TJ’s chocolate added for good measure. :)

3. Marie says

MMM, that looks so rich and delicious. I have to try it! I usually make my hot chocolate from either a low cal or fat free packaged kind and my usual Lactose free fat free milk.

I have to try this coconut kind — I’m imagining it tastes like a liquid Almond Joy candy bar!

4. Nila says

I know a lot of foodie bloggers are on to coconut milk since it’s the new fad, but I’m surprised that very few realize that it has SUPER high levels of saturated fat, which in turn spikes your cholesterol (it doesn’t have cholesterol like some claim, cholesterol is contained in animal products). Many cultures that use coconut milk as a base for cooking know this and recognize it’s quite unhealthy. Just adding that in case you didn’t know that, although nothing wrong with anything hot chocolate :)

You mean every day isn’t National Hot Chocolate Day?! Oops! Seriously, though, this looks amazing. I bet it would be great for the other half to be almond milk (my new obsession). P.S. It was great meeting you at the FoodBuzz Festival. What a great blog this is!

Most individuals understand the benefit of gadgets and electronics in our everyday life, but most don’t realize the scope at which it reaches. Technology affects all issues with our lives. Without advancements in the medical field and electronics offered by doctors’ offices and nursing homes, our life expectancy would not be near what it can be today. MRI machines, several lifesaving invasive surgeries, and a number of preventative procedures would not be available if it was not for advancements in gadgets and electronics – prezerwatywy. At this point in our lives, these aspects go beyond just convenience and stretch to almost necessary for health and happiness.

In reply To NILA’s post…. Yes it is true that coconut oil is very high in saturated fat, actually the Highest source on earth… However it is false to say that it raises your bad cholesterol levels (LDL). I just wanted to clarify that it does NOT raise blood levels of LDL cholesterol but it raises levels of HDL (good cholesterol) as the saturated fats are Lauric acid. Coconut oil also bypasses the liver as it is ingested and is actually useful in lowering your LDL (bad) cholesterol levels.

And as a side note… This recipe is awesome :) thank you!

Life’s such as a highway. There are long and quick roads; even as well as rugged paths; crooked in addition to directly trails. In life several roads would come your technique when we enable you to lifestyle. There are paths that lead to a lifetime of single blessedness, relationship, and non secular occupation. In addition there are highways that lead to celebrity along with wad of cash similarly, or solitude and poverty on the other instrument. There are paths to happiness as there are roads for you to sadness, roadways to glory and jubilation, in addition to roads ultimately causing wipe out along with discontent.

As with all road, you will discover crevices, detours, along with crossroads in everyday life. Probably the nearly all puzzling street that you’d expertise is a crossroad. Along with 4 roads to select from along with restricted expertise with where by they would head out, that path do you want to acquire? Just what is the be certain that we would pick the best one particular along the way? Might you acquire any highway, or merely stay where you are: facing a crossroad?

There aren’t any makes certain.

You don’t define in which a road will cause you unless you get it. There won’t be any warranties. That is the most significant things you need to understand in relation to existence. Nobody declared deciding to perform the correct thing all the time would certainly generally cause you to pleasure. Supportive a person in your cardiovascular system isn’t going to be certain that it might be went back. Attaining celebrity along with bundle isn’t going to guarantee joy. Taking an excellent word coming from a disciplined preferable over reduce your vacation short the occupation hierarchy isn’t necessarily negative, especially if you are generally hugely certified and capable. There are far too numerous feasible outcomes, which in turn your own actually can’t manage. The thing you might have handle of may be the decisions that you’re going to create, and exactly how you should work and also react to various circumstances.

Drastically wrong conclusions are invariably at hindsight.

Experienced an individual regarded that you were being setting up a improper determination, might you have gone as well as that? Probably not really, the reason can you go with a selected course when you’re conscious of it might enable you to get missing? The reason why come up with a selected selection if you recognized through the very start it is not the best one. It’s only once you have decided in addition to reflected upon it you understand it’s soundness. If the penalties or effects are ideal for anyone, …..

Take a look at my personal site:fabricante de calzado

9. Lori Ann @ Lori Ann's Food & Fam says

Trying this recipe right now with coconut & almond milk. Sooooo hoping it turns out! I’m drooling.