Still inspired by my meal at True Foods in AZ, I decided to re-create another dish (in addition to the soba noodle meal) – the Spaghetti Squash Casserole.
Here are some photos from my cooking adventure:
Dish large enough to fit giant spaghetti squash – I used one of my baking dishes.
Into the microwave
Organic roma tomatoes
Making 1/2 the sauce from scratch
The rest of my sauce
Trader Giotto’s – get it?
Getting my “spaghetti”
Into the sauce
All mixed up and into the baking dish
I used Trader Joe’s Shredded Mozzarella Cheese. I wanted fresh, but TJ’s was out.
Dinner is served!
Man, this looked so much better served individually at True Food! Hmm…*mental note* get individual baking dishes once house ready.
Spaghetti Squash Casserole
NOTE: I modeled the spaghetti squash cooking off of a Rachael Ray recipe. This tutorial by Simply Daily Recipes had some nice photos and information I found informative as a first time spaghetti squash cooker.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, rinsed + (carefully) halved, seeds/etc removed
- 5-6 organic roma tomatoes, seeded + chopped
- 1 small jar marinara sauce
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1-2 ball fresh mozzarella, sliced (or bag of shredded mozzarella)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine, optional
- salt + pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place squash in dish large enough to fit both halves, with halves cut side down. Fill dish 1/4 inch up to squash with water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave 13 minutes. Let rest a few minutes after cooking so you don’t burn your hands. Use a fork to pull the spaghetti from the squash shell. Place in sieve to drain until sauce is ready.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium pot over medium heat with olive oil. Add onions and saute 3-4 minutes till tender. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add roma tomatoes and cooked 4-5 minutes. Add wine and cook till liquid reduced. Add jar marinara sauce, top pot, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add cooked spaghetti squash to the sauce and stir.
- Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray. Add spaghetti squash and sauce mixture to pan and flatten to even layer.
- Top dish with mozzarella.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Serve with nice, hearty whole grain bread. Enjoy!
4 thoughts on “Easy Spaghetti Squash Casserole”
I need some of this! It looks so yummy!
Yummy! That looks delish.
p.s I love your layout 🙂
This looks great! I just recently discovered spaghetti squash and I can't get enough–I'll definitely have to try this!
Thanks Rosey Rebecca!
Hey Dawn – I've recently discovered it, too! I wonder why I didn't eat it sooner! lol