Today was the first day of my Weekly Food Challenge with the ingredient chia seeds.
I wasn’t sure if I wanted to make a Chia Fizz drink or a smoothie, but smoothie won out because I feel like I haven’t been getting as many servings of fruit as I should.
I, of course, started with the key ingredient: chia seeds. I used white chia seeds (about 1 tbsp).
Add milk (about 1/2 cup).
Stir. Place in fridge for 10 minutes. Wait.
When the 10 minutes were up, I gathered the rest of my smoothie ingredients: frozen papaya, frozen (hand-picked) blueberries, frozen banana, frozen strawberries, organic baby spinach, and a TJ’s Greek Style Nonfat Blueberry Yogurt.
My ingredients looked like a rainbow in my blender!
Next I added my TJ’s yogurt and some milk.
Then, I blended till everything was smooth, but still thick (I had more milk to add with those chia seeds).
I got my chia seeds from the fridge and stirred them well. They had gelled up quite nicely!
I added the chia seeds and milk to the mix and blended till everything was combined.
My rainbow smoothies were perfect for me and hubby to enjoy post-lunch today. Yum!
Rainbow Chia Seed Smoothie
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1-1.5 cup milk
- 1 TJ’s individual Greek yogurt (any flavor)
- handful frozen papaya
- handful frozen strawberries
- handful frozen banana
- handful frozen blueberries
- handful organic baby spinach
- Place chia seeds and 1/2 cup milk in a container. Stir and place in fridge to rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes are over, add all frozen fruit (about 2-3 cups worth) and spinach (about 1/2 cup) to a blender. Add yogurt. Add milk. Blend till all ingredients blended smoothly. Mixture may be a bit thick.
- Remove chia seed/milk mixture. Stir well. Add to blend. Blend until mixed well.
- Serve and enjoy!
I pretty much just eye-balled everything for the above recipe, so sorry for no exact measurements. Just add a few handfuls of fruit, a bit of yogurt and a little milk. I didn’t use any additional sweeteners. Add milk till it’s the consistency you want. Remember, you can always add more milk, but you can’t take it back out. Add the milk gradually and you should be good to go!
Anyone else working on some awesome chia seed recipes for the Weekly Food Challenge?