I was very inspired by my farmers market goodies today…so much so that I dug right into them for lunch today. I knew I had leftovers from last night’s dinner that I wanted to finish up, but I wanted to make something delicious to enjoy with my market goodies.
I tried looking up recipes for the Tendergreens, but couldn’t find anything! I finally figured out that tendergreens are also known as mustard greens and a search for mustard greens yielded much better results.
I found a few recipes that looked ok, but decided to wing it and create something on the fly.
I gathered my ingredients and got to cooking.
Sautéing the onions
Rinsing the peas
Cooking down the greens
Putting it all together
With red pepper flakes for some heat
All together with my leftovers….another yummy veggie combo.
I was really impressed with my Greens + Peas concoction…so tasty and so simple! This side was ready in about 25 minutes.
Greens + Peas
A simple, healthy side dish by moi
NOTE: This is a good recipe to use any frozen, chopped onion you may have in your freezer. I also think that with the addition of a few more ingredients and more broth, this could easily turn into a yummy soup.
- 2 cups shelled field peas, rinsed
- 3-4 cups mustard greens, extra-rinsed, prepped (remove thick stems), ripped into smaller pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 14-ounce chicken broth
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- Heat about 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a medium pot. Add onion. Cook till translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add prepped mustard greens and saute till wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and rinsed peas. Season with dash garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil
- Once at boil, cover, lower heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, till peas are to desired tenderness.
- Serve and enjoy!
Lunch was fab, but I did manage to save room for dessert:
My mini “Texas donut”. A glazed donut and donut hole.
And since some of you may be wondering…here’s a shot of the real “Texas donut” from the bakery – Suarez Bakery .
Decorated Texas donuts with my hand for measurement…these guys are HUGE! I want to try one of these Texas donuts one day…and one day, I’m sure I will. 🙂
2 thoughts on “Greens + Peas + Texas Donuts”
Oh my donut!!
texas donut/?? crazy!!!