I made a super yummy dinner last night – Spiced Shrimp Quinoa! So faboo…even hubby loved it!
It wasn’t the fastest dinner, but it was easy. Here are some photos from the cooking:
Quinoa simmering away
Toss in frozen peas
Shrimp go on top
Top with toasted pine nuts
Note pretty yellow color. I added this with spices! I added cumin and chili powder for flavor…I added turmeric for nutritional benefits, color, and of course, flavor. You can read about my previous turmeric challenge with tidbits by clicking here.
Spiced Shrimp Quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2-3/4 lbs peeled, deveined shrimp
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- dash red pepper flakes (or more depending on how spicy you like it)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- toasted pine nuts, to top and for garnish
- Pre-heat a medium pot over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add onion and cook till translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, cook for 1 minute. Add cumin, turmeric, chili powder, and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add quinoa, lower heat to simmer, cover pot, and cook for 20-25 minutes, until quinoa is tender.
- Meanwhile (near end of quinoa cooking time), pre-heat a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add other tbsp olive oil to pan. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Add shrimp to pan and saute till shrimp are cooked through, about 3-5 minutes (give or take depending on size of shrimp used).
- When quinoa is done, add peas to top of quinoa, then cooked shrimp, cover and let cook for 1 minute.
- Remove lid, stir.
- Serve topped with toasted pine nuts.
2 thoughts on “Spiced Shrimp Quinoa”
Can't go wrong with garlic & spice! 🙂
I love quinoa! That looks awesome 🙂