So, I was WFH the other day, scavenging my freezer for something to eat for lunch when I stumbled upon a tupperware of frozen turkey chili. Score! The chili was great, but I needed something to go with it.
I know a lot of people enjoy various things with chili: tortilla chips, pasta, etc. Personally, my favorite thing to go with chili is corn bread…or corn muffins. I’ve been baking corn muffins up the last several times I’ve made a cornbread batter because I can be impatient and the muffins just bake faster (not to mention they’re easier to share and freeze for later).
Sometimes, I freeze the leftover corn muffins I make the same day I do the chili, but there were no corn muffins to be found. I considered baking a whole batch of muffins, but it seemed like a bit much and my corn meal was running low. That’s when inspiration (or curiosity) struck. Could I possibly convert one of my Cake Mini recipes into a Cornbread Mini?
I took one of my Cake Mini recipes, did some simple updates, and decided to test out the depression cake trick (vinegar & baking soda) for leavening.
They were a success! So successful, in fact, that I ate both. I just had to drizzle them with a little local honey first. Mmm…
If you have the time and ingredients, I’d probably just bake up a whole batch of corn bread or corn muffins. But, if you’re ever feeling a little lazy, cooking for just yourself, or running low on baking ingredients, definitely give this recipe a whirl. They’re just a little faster and more convenient…and, they’re even made without eggs or butter, thanks to the Depression-Cake trick I learned recently. The recipe makes enough for two people who want a small piece of corn bread or for one person who wants a lot. They’re perfect with chili or even with breakfast.
*Vegetarian* *Vegan options listed below*
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Bake Time: about 15 minutes
- 3 tablespoons corn meal
- 2 tablespoons flour of choice (I like unbleached all purpose for this one)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons milk (or use vegan substitute)
- 1 tablespoon flavorless oil (for example: canola)
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two ramekins with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine and then whisk together corn meal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda until even distributed.
- In another medium bowl, combine and then whisk together milk, oil, and vinegar until evenly mixed.
- Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined, careful to not overmix. Batter will be lumpy. Evenly distribute batter between the two ramekins.
- Bake 14-16 minutes, or until top is just golden brown and corn bread is cooked through (when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
What’s your favorite kind of chili? Turkey, beef, vegetarian, tempeh…anything else?