So, I was working from home the other day, scavenging my freezer for something to eat for lunch when I stumbled upon a tupperware of frozen turkey chili. Score! The chili was great, but I needed something to go with it. Luckily, I ended up with the perfect accompaniment: this Cornbread Minis Recipe.
I know a lot of people enjoy various things with chili: tortilla chips, pasta, etc. Personally, my favorite thing to go with chili is corn bread or muffins. I’ve been baking corn muffins up the last several times because I can be impatient and the muffins just bake faster than bread. Not to mention muffins are easier to share and freeze for later.
Sometimes, I freeze the leftover corn muffins I make the same day I do the chili, but there were no corn muffins to be found in my freezer. I considered baking a whole batch of muffins. But that seemed like a bit much and my corn meal was running low. That’s when inspiration (or curiosity) struck. Could I possibly convert one of my Cake Mini recipes into a Cornbread Mini Recipe?
I took one of my Cake Mini recipes, did some simple updates, and decided to test out the depression cake trick (vinegar & baking soda) for leavening.
The experiment was a success! So successful, in fact, that I ate both mini corn muffins. I just had to drizzle them with a little local honey first. Mmm…
It’s not pictured here, but my favorite local honey is by Cloister Honey.
The recipe makes enough for two people who want a small piece of corn bread or for one person who wants a lot (or another for later). They're perfect with chili or even with breakfast.
*Vegetarian* *Vegan options listed below*
- 3 tablespoons corn meal
- 2 tablespoons flour of choice (I like unbleached all purpose for this one)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons milk (or use vegan substitute)
- 1 tablespoon flavorless oil (for example: canola)
- ¼ teaspoon white vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two ramekins with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine and then whisk together corn meal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda until even distributed.
- In another medium bowl, combine and then whisk together milk, oil, and vinegar until evenly mixed.
- Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined, careful to not overmix. Batter will be lumpy. Evenly distribute batter between the two ramekins.
- Bake 14-16 minutes, or until top is just golden brown and corn bread is cooked through (when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
Happy baking! Hope you enjoy this easy Cornbread Minis Recipe 🙂
What’s your favorite kind of chili? Turkey, beef, vegetarian, tempeh…anything else?