Here’s a super simple mocktail you can whip up for your friends and family for this Labor Day or any other party. This drink is especially great for events involving grilling out or al fresco dining. I give you an Easy Sparkling Lemonade Recipe.
Easy Sparkling Lemonade Recipe
This Easy Sparkling Lemonade (aka Lemon Bubbles) drink reminds me of something I always wanted to try when I was in school – Lemon (or Citron) Pressé. I remember reading about this drink in French classes throughout high school and college. They seemed to like to feature it in the text and graphics of my French class textbooks. I also remember trying to find this mythical drink when I was actually in France on an exchange, but I never did. Perhaps they only serve it in spring or summer. I went there in the winter.
When I was whipping up this cocktail, I hadn’t even noticed the correlation between the two. But, the Lemon Pressé popped into my head shortly before I wrote up this blog post. My drink is made with just a little sugar and sparkling water instead of flat water. I also went ahead and turned the sugar into simple syrup for easier mixing. As for it being “lemonade,” I’m not even sure I’d really consider this drink a true lemonade. I consider it more like lemon-scented sparkling water. But, I made it for some friends who came over for a pot luck recently, and they said it tasted like lemonade, so there ya go.
Sparkling Citron Pressé, Sparkling Lemonade, Lemon-Scented Water…whatever you want to call it, it’s light, refreshing, and great for entertaining. Add some mint for a little extra flavor and a punch of green.
Lemon slices make a great garnish.
A sprig of mint will add color and flavor. Enjoy this outside with friends over BBQ chicken, grilled tofu, or fresh-off-the-grill hamburgers.
Prep time: approximately 1 hour, plus chill time *Vegetarian, Vegan*
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 5-6 small lemons
- 2 1-liter bottles sparkling water (I like Pellegrino)
- 1 lemon, sliced thin, optional for garnish
- mint sprigs, optional, for garnish
- Combine and stir together sugar and water in a medium sized pot and turn stove to medium heat. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Let cool 30 minutes to 1 hour in the pot.
- In a pitcher, add fresh-squeezed lemon juice, sparkling water, and simple syrup. Add lemon slices and let drink chill in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve.
- Serve with a lemon slice in each glass. Add a sprig of mint for more garnish, color, and flavor.
Happy Labor Day!