Click here to learn more about the weekly food challenge and how you can play along. But, basically, you just make something during the challenge week with the weekly challenge food item and add your link to this post (leave a comment with your URL and I'll add it). See, simple!
This Week's Challenge Item (2/15 – 2/21) – Cabbage:
According to Parker-Pope, from her article "The 11 Best Foods You Aren't Eating", "Loaded with nutrients like sulforaphane, a chemical said to boost cancer-fighting enzymes. How to eat: Asian-style slaw or as a crunchy topping on burgers and sandwiches."
According to Jonny Bowden in The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth, cabbage may keep prevent breast cancer, is "one of the lowest-calorie foods on the planet," and gives you an assortment of awesome vitamins and minerals.
- Cole Slaw (google for a ton of recipes)
- Steam it and drizzle with a wee bit of butter
- Add to a stir-fry
- Saute it (I like to use the recipe by Ina Garten here as a baseline)
- Corn and Red Cabbage Salad – Robin Miller
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts and Red Cabbage – Danny Boome
- Cabbage and Straw – Rachael Ray
- Seared Tuna with Napa Cabbage and Carrot Salad with Fried Wontons Recipe – Emeril Lagasse
- Corned Beef and Cabbage – Alton Brown
- Stuffed Cabbage: Cavolo Ripieno – Mario Batali
- Spicy Shrimp and Bok Choy Noodle Bowl Recipe – Rachael Ray
- Sage Rubbed Pork Chops with Warm Apple Slaw – Ellie Krieger
How to Play:
Everyone is welcome to play, but unfortunately, there's no prize this week. 🙁 I hope you'll still play along for fun, though!
- Cook/prepare something during the challenge week (2/15-2/21) with cabbage
- Do a blog post about what you made
- Add the Challenge banner (the muffin photo – available here – click) to your blog post, optional
- Leave me a comment on this post to let me know you did your post so I can add you link to the list
TBD – Leave me a comment with a link to your pomegranate-post and I'll add your link here.