It’s here! Time for my 2nd annual Healthy Thanksgiving Challenge! Read on for details on how you can participate…
The Challenge Concept
If you’re like me, you believe that every change, no matter how small, in a positive direction, helps make the world a better place. So, why not use our knowledge of healthful eating to help our friends, family, and co-workers enjoy a slightly more healthy Thanksgiving?
Many people associate the holiday season with a time for indulging in a plethora of not-so-healthy eats. We eat at friends’ homes, office parties, and family get-togethers. At most Thanksgiving dinners, whether you’re hosting the whole meal or just bringing a side dish, you can bank on being able to share your mad cooking/baking skills with your friends, family, and even co-workers. Whether you’re cooking the main dish, bringing something on the side, or baking dessert, you can help make the world a healthier place by making your contribution a little healthier. Then, all your friends, family, and/or co-workers can reap the benefits of having healthier eats, too!
Show your loved ones that Thanksgiving can be a healthy indulgence.
How to Play
The Thanksgiving Food Challenge is simple – choose a dish and make at least one small change to make it healthier. You can make as many changes as you want, but even one change is great.
Here are some examples:
- Use an organic ingredient (sub organic milk or eggs for your famous dessert)
- Use a local ingredient (local veggies anyone?)
- Use a humanely raised turkey (find one at LocalHarvest.org *click*)
- Substitute a healthier ingredient (try brown rice syrup instead of sugar as a sweetener)
- Serve a healthier alternative (steamed green beans instead of green bean casserole)
- Give a family recipe a complete, healthy make-over (tofu pumpkin pie is tasty!)
How to Enter
You don’t have to have a blog to play!
There are 3 ways to enter (1 mandatory and 2 optional if you want extra chances to win):
- *mandatory* Leave a comment explaining what you made and what you changed.
- Tweet about the contest using the following: “I’m playing in the Healthy Thanksgiving Challenge 2010 t! http://bit.ly/bPBTCn #healthythanksgiving”. Leave a separate comment on this post to let me know that you tweeted an entry.
- Link to this contest from your blog. Leave a separate comment telling me you did.
- Each entry must be left as a separate comment on this post to count individually.
- All entries must be received by 8pm ET Saturday, November 27th, 2010.
- Winner will be randomly selected.
- Shipping of prize is for US only.
- Winner will be notified via email and so must have a valid email address.
- If winner doesn’t reply within 48 hours of email notification, a new winner will be selected.
I’ve created a banner for the challenge if you’d like to use it on your blog or web site:
You can use the following code to add this banner to your site:
<a href="https://thechiclife.com/2010/10/healthy-thanksgiving-challenge-2010.html"><img src="https://thechiclife.com/wp-content/uploads/images/HealthyThanksgiving2010.gif" border="0" width="170" height="170" /></a>
The prize is helping make the world healthier one ingredient at a time. 🙂 Oh wait, you want something for you? Ok…
I’ll randomly select someone from the group who posts by the deadline to receive a handmade (by me) pair of Swarovski pearl drop earrings (sterling silver) – perfect for your next holiday party and just in time!
I have a couple other pearl colors and several crystal colors and would be happy to help you pick some colors to match your preferences.
With this challenge being so simple, it should be pretty easy for lots of people to participate. Let’s spread the healthy word and show people that healthy can be tasty! And if you’re wondering how changing out 1 ingredient can make a different, I truly believe that every change for the better makes a positive impact overall. I leave you with this quote:
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~Margaret Mead