One year ago today, I provided an update on our new house. See, a couple days before, hubby and I moved into our very first house!
Based on the update from last year (click to view – seeing the old list will make this one make more sense), I can tell you that some things have been taken care of while others haven’t.
1. We still don’t have nice furniture. In fact, save one bed frame that is too big to use in our master bedroom and some den furniture thanks to some really good deals, we haven’t purchased much of anything. This is probably due to us pouring all of our money into our kitchen renovation.
In fact, we are still sleeping on a mattress on the floor.
And our living room still needs furniture.
2. We have some curtains in some rooms.
But we still have many rooms that need curtains or blinds of some sort.
3. Thankfully, our kitchen is all unpacked. No more searching boxes for plates and cooking ingredients! Hazzah! Plus we now have a pantry and island (that we had installed – it wasn’t there when we moved in) to use for storage. Btw, you may want to click here to view some pictures of what the kitchen looked like when we bought the house. It looks SO different!
4. I know where all my essential items are.
5. Yards are still AWESOME! We should do more yard work than we do, but we get by with some work and a bit of tending in the Garden.
6. New paint smells for a surprisingly long time. I no longer smell the pain on the walls, but the stuff on our cabinets (which used to be a honey color) is still surprisingly strong.
7. Bailey has pretty much all the rugs he needs upstairs. We need to work on the lower level.
So, we’re lacking in the furniture department and we have some loose ends to tie up in our kitchen, but overall, I’m so proud of what we’ve done with the house in a year. The kitchen looks so much better and I just love being in it! We’ll get to furniture when we get to it. 🙂
What house projects took you the longest to finish (or are still going on)?
8 thoughts on “One Year in the House”
My living room was the longest! It was practically empty for months. I still don’t consider it finished because I have an old uncomfortable futon (someone gave it to me) that will need to be changed but it is 100% furnished. The walls do need something (everywhere) ;).
The room that is taking the longest at my house is all of them. We get a room almost done and then quit. So like the upstairs bathroom and one of the downstairs bathrooms are both waiting on paint. The kitchen needs better countertops. We need new flooring in the master bath and bedroom. The living room needs moulding and the dining room needs a complete overhaul
Diana, we have been in our house for almost 10 years and we have things we STILL have not gotten to since we moved in. It seems like it will never all get accomplished. Doing “look-backs” are good, though– because you can see all that you HAVE done.
we still live in an apartment but when it came to setting up here, we definitely got the kitchen in good shape first, then our bedroom, the guest bedroom/office, and the living room. that is still a work in progress though… i really need some wall hangings.
Thankfully we had the funds to renovate our condo in a mere three months; however, there are still electrical outlets with the old (gross) beige/tan covers on them instead of the new white ones we purchased. I should really get on that…
Your house is lovely!
We moved into ours this June and have been busy every weekend since then. Luckily, everything was nicely updated by the previous owners and we like most of the paint colors.
I’ve got a lot of work to do in my office, however. Most of my things are still in the moving boxes and I have some major re-organization to do.
Congrats!! It seems like just yesterday you guys were moving in. Crazy how time flies 🙂 We just celebrated a year in our place in May and there are still tons of things to do like finishing our floor thresholds and putting something in the backyard besides rocks. It seems like there will always be something to work on with house stuff, especially when life is going on too 🙂 You guys did a great job!!!
Love the kitchen reno!!
We’ve been in our house for 10 years and finally put furniture in our formal living room. That room pretty much stood empty except for a few months when it housed the Christmas tree. Our motto was “why rush to spend money on a room we rarely spend time in?”
I’ve been dragging my feet on repainting the dining room. I can’t decide on a color. There’s been a big square of paint on the wall for about … 2 years now.