When reader Meg wrote in asking if the substitution on the all purpose flour to spelt flour was one-to-one on my baked apple cider doughnuts, I was reminded that I haven’t baked with spelt flour in awhile. I definitely picked up a small bag the next time I was at the health food store for some baking projects. Spelt doughnuts sounded like a pretty good dessert for this past weekend, so I came up with a couple simple changes based on some of the other doughnut recipes here on The Chic Life to make a recipe specifically for spelt flour. I made a Healthier Baked Cinnamon Spelt Doughnuts Recipe.
(By the way, the substitution for all purpose to spelt is one-to-one in the other doughnut recipes – see links below)
This Healthier Baked Cinnamon Spelt Doughnuts Recipe is a little heartier than the other doughnut recipes I’ve made with all purpose flour thanks to the spelt flour. I still enjoy the texture and find these doughnuts to be slightly more fluffy and light than whole wheat. But, I love baking with spelt flour!
As with my other recipes, I call this "healthier" instead of "healthy" because I'm not sure what would make a dessert healthy unless it was comprised of fresh sliced fruit. So, let's just agree this is a "healthier" than traditional fried doughnuts…and even lighter and less sweet than some baked versions!
*Vegetarian, Vegan options listed below*
- ¾ cup spelt flour (or sub all purpose flour if you're not feeling the spelt flour)
- ¼ cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons (preferably raw sugar)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon, plus ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup and 2 tablespoons milk (or sub vegan milk substitute)
- 1 large egg (or sub flaxseed egg)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush a 6-count doughnut pan lightly with melted butter (or spray with non-stick spray).
- In a medium-large bowl, add spelt flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In another medium-large bowl, whisk together ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, egg, canola oil, and vanilla extract to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and gently mix until just combined (careful to not over-mix).
- Evenly distribute in doughnut pan. Tap pan on counter to release air bubbles. Bake for 7-9 minutes, until doughnuts are cooked through (when a toothpick inserted into the doughnut comes out clean). (Mine were perfect at 8 minutes, but oven temperatures can vary, so check at 7 minutes)
- In a small bowl, whisk together (or stir with fork) ¼ cup granulated sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon until cinnamon is evenly mixed in. When doughnuts are safe to touch, but while they’re still warm, dip each side into the cinnamon-sugar mixture, pressing and twisting to get good coverage.
- Serve and enjoy!
You may also like these other The Chic Life recipes:
- Healthier Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts
- Healthier Baked Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Homemade Oil-Free Autumn Granola
And here are more great spelt recipes from around the web:
- Plum Honey Cake by The Healthy Epicurean
- Spelt Farfalle in a Creamy Butternut Squash Sauce with Roasted Broccoli by Lore (be sure to watch the video!)
- Honey Spelt Bread by Mess Makes Food
Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoy this Healthier Baked Cinnamon Spelt Doughnuts Recipe!2