Greetings from breakfast at HLS.
I got some yummy oatmeal with brown sugar, fresh berries and almond butter. Plus more fresh fruit on the side.
I got some of the last of the almond butter…it was really yummy Maranatha. I heard they have it at Costco. 😉 Good thing we just got a membership there.
Coffee was a must. I had a little trouble sleeping last night. Must have been the ghosts in the hotel! I heard it was haunted!
Enjoyed breakfast over the key note speech.
For the first section of the day, I hit up the Sports Nutrition. I love trying to figure out what the best pre and post workout snacks are, so I was really excited about the presentation.
The presentation was by:
- Rebecca Scritchfield of Balanced Health and Nutrition @scritchfieldRD
- Heather Calcote of Dietician on the Run @HeatherdcRD
Here are some slides from the presentation…
We learned a whole lot, but here are some other tips:
- Dehydration is the #1 most likely issue with athletes (Project Hydrate anyone?) 😉
- If you sweat a lot when you work out, you may need salt or a salty snack. (i thought this one was really interesting since I always seem to be so drenched after zumba).
- Carbs are the energy nutrient.
- Tart cherry drinks may be great post-workout snacks – they’ve shown to help with recovery because cherries have an anti-inflammatory antioxidant.
- Chocolate milk is a great recovery drink – studies show that it is better than some sports drinks.
- Bloggers have influence so be sure to use your influence to counter negative diet messages
Having technical difficulties with internet connections, so I’ll have more up later. Cheers!
4 thoughts on “Greetings from HLS”
Thanks so much for including the sports nutrition talk in your summary! I saw someone taking pics of slides… I’m so glad I found out who it was 🙂
You take great pics! Let me know if you ever sell any of them and such. I am always looking for pics for my blog, e-newsletters, and PPTs.
P.S. email me if you want 2 talk more about the positive blogging.
Hi Rebecca! I loved your presentation! Thank you so much!
Let me email you about the photos and positive blogging. 🙂
Interesting…I’m always drenched when I workout too. I’m gonna try to have something salty prior to exercise and see if that helps. I’m tired of going to the grocery store after the gym all nasty and sweaty!