Hey guys, here’s the recipe I’ve been promising you. It’s my Healthy Breakfast Cookies Recipe. This is a whole grain recipe made with dried tart cherries and walnuts. While you can enjoy these for breakfast, they also make for a healthy dessert. Basically, they’re good any time of day!
I first started working on a breakfast cookies recipe for you guys several years ago. But it got lost somewhere along the way. There was a piece of paper with my recipe notes, but I can’t even find that now. Lol! So, I went with a new approach.
For this recipe, I converted my Just Right Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies to a healthy version.
Regular Cookies to a Healthy Breakfast Cookies Recipe
Here’s how I converted the recipe:
- Used spelt flour instead of all purpose
- Swap out chocolate chips for dried fruit
- Added nuts
- Substituted a flaxseed egg for the egg
- Substituted mashed banana and less oil for the butter
Customize This Healthy Breakfast Cookies Recipe
Switch this Healthy Breakfast Cookies Recipe up by substituting your favorite dried fruit and/or nuts.
Dried fruits and nuts are packed with nutrients in addition to being delicious and adding amazing texture to these cookies. Feel free to switch things up and/or use a combination. Cherries plus raisins. Yum! Walnuts plus almonds. Yes!
Note: I used Bob’s Red Mill spelt flour, and it was nice and hearty. Opt for that if you want a whole grain version.
The cookies didn’t flatten out much, which was okay with me. But you can press them down if you want a more traditional cookie shape. As you know, I quite like cookie dough balls.
Make this Healthy Breakfast Cookies Recipe for breakfast…or dessert! Your choice! They also make for a great snack any time of day.
- 1 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or sub half table salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or sub raw cane sugar)
- 1 flaxseed egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (or sub nut of choice)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (or sub dried fruit of choice)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare one large (or two small) baking sheet(s) with parchment paper. Note: I could bake all the cookies in one batch with 1 large baking sheet because mine did not spread out.
- In a large bowl, add oats, spelt flour, salt, and baking soda. Whisk to evenly combine.
- In a medium bowl mix banana, oil, and coconut sugar. Add the flaxseed egg and vanilla. Whisk to evenly combine.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and gently mix with a large spatula. Fold in walnuts and cherries.
- Using a medium sized sorbet scoop (2 tablespoon), scoop dough and evenly distribute on baking sheets, leaving about 3 inches of space in between each ball of dough.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until edges are slightly brown. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheets to room temperature. Enjoy!
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoy these Healthy Breakfast Cookies! If you try a different fruit and/or nut combo, share your favorite mix in a comment below!