Hey guys, here’s the recipe I’ve been promising you. It’s my Healthy Breakfast Cookies Recipe. This is a whole grain recipe made with dried tart cherries and walnuts. While you can enjoy these for breakfast, they also make for a healthy dessert. Basically, they’re good any time of day!
I first started working on a breakfast cookies recipe for you guys several years ago. But it got lost somewhere along the way. There was a piece of paper with my recipe notes, but I can’t even find that now. Lol! So, I went with a new approach.
For this recipe, I converted my Just Right Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies to a healthy version.
Regular Cookies to a Healthy Breakfast Cookies Recipe
Here’s how I converted the recipe:
- Used spelt flour instead of all purpose
- Swap out chocolate chips for dried fruit
- Added nuts
- Substituted a flaxseed egg for the egg
- Substituted mashed banana and less oil for the butter
Customize This Healthy Breakfast Cookies Recipe
Switch this Healthy Breakfast Cookies Recipe up by substituting your favorite dried fruit and/or nuts.
Dried fruits and nuts are packed with nutrients in addition to being delicious and adding amazing texture to these cookies. Feel free to switch things up and/or use a combination. Cherries plus raisins. Yum! Walnuts plus almonds. Yes!
Note: I used Bob’s Red Mill spelt flour, and it was nice and hearty. Opt for that if you want a whole grain version.
The cookies didn’t flatten out much, which was okay with me. But you can press them down if you want a more traditional cookie shape. As you know, I quite like cookie dough balls.
Healthy Breakfast Cookies Recipe | Whole Grain Tart Cherry
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 20 1x
Make this Healthy Breakfast Cookies Recipe for breakfast…or dessert! Your choice! They also make for a great snack any time of day.
- 1 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or sub half table salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or sub raw cane sugar)
- 1 flaxseed egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (or sub nut of choice)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (or sub dried fruit of choice)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare one large (or two small) baking sheet(s) with parchment paper. Note: I could bake all the cookies in one batch with 1 large baking sheet because mine did not spread out.
- In a large bowl, add oats, spelt flour, salt, and baking soda. Whisk to evenly combine.
- In a medium bowl mix banana, oil, and coconut sugar. Add the flaxseed egg and vanilla. Whisk to evenly combine.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and gently mix with a large spatula. Fold in walnuts and cherries.
- Using a medium sized sorbet scoop (2 tablespoon), scoop dough and evenly distribute on baking sheets, leaving about 3 inches of space in between each ball of dough.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until edges are slightly brown. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheets to room temperature. Enjoy!
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
Oil-Free Fruit and Nut Granola
Healthy Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts
Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoy these Healthy Breakfast Cookies! If you try a different fruit and/or nut combo, share your favorite mix in a comment below!