Hey guys! Wanted to pop in with a super simple, healthy, and tasty meal – a Green Curry Tempeh Bowl Recipe. As you know, I’m not vegetarian or vegan, but I do like to eat vegetarian / vegan meals often. I find I can often eat lower calorie meals that are still filling this way. But mostly, I find them easier to prepare for some reason. Maybe because you only need one cutting board and the cook times can be a bit faster at times.
About This Green Curry Tempeh Bowl Recipe
As a fan of Thai food, I’d been meaning to experiment with some curry pastes for awhile. So, I took some inspiration from the recipe on the back of my green curry paste. I tried the original recipe but found it a bit on the bland side. So, I jazzed it up with some coconut aminos, garlic powder, and fresh basil. I also added in some peas, which cook quickly and make this nearly a one pot dish. Save the side of rice.
By the way, coconut aminos are often used a substitute for soy sauce, so feel free to just use that if you don’t have the former.
By the way, I photographed this on one of my initial experiments, before I had the idea to add peas straight to the curry sauce to simply the entire recipe. So feel free to leave the peas out and add your own vegetable side. I did steamed broccoli here. Or follow the recipe to dirty up less dishes for easier clean up. Up to you!
Green Curry Tempeh Bowl Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
Here’s a super simple tempeh recipe that can be made with or without the veggies cooked into the sauce. See the note in this blog post for details.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (or sub soy sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- dash fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 package tempeh, cut into small rectangles
- 1 cup frozen green peas, optional (or add prepared vegetable of choice to the bowl)
- Brown rice
- fresh basil, to garnish
- In a large saucepan, bring coconut milk to a simmer. Stir in green curry paste, brown sugar, coconut aminos, garlic powder, kosher salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook, stirring frequently for two minutes.
- Stir in tempeh pieces and cook for 10 minutes over simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in peas and cook for 2 minutes, or until peas are cooked through, over simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with brown rice (or base of choice). If not using peas, feel free to add your favorite prepared vegetable. Garnish with fresh basil.
Tempeh Tip: The size of your tempeh pieces is not important. Cut to your preference. I like to cut mine in 3 even pieces down the long end and then 11 even pieces down the short end. To simplify, I cut down the short side in half, then halved those halves, and then cut each of those pieces into 3 even pieces. Then I cut those evenly with 3 cuts down the long end.
More Tempeh Recipes
BBQ Tempeh (now with a video!)
Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoy this Green Curry Tempeh Bowl Recipe!
Please consider sharing this with your friends using the share buttons below…