Feeling lazy, but want to eat something dee-lish? Then read on for a high-ROI (where investment=cook time) meal you can enjoy any day. Actually, there are two recipes: an easy BBQ Tempeh Recipe and a Tangy Power Greens Recipe. These are great healthy, clean eating recipes that can be made gluten-free if you purchase ingredients that are specifically GF.
On Friday, I enjoyed one of my favorite lunches of recent times. As I started wondering about lunch, I had no idea what to eat. But, I knew I had some homemade BBQ sauce, tempeh, and swiss chard in the garden. I also had some kale on its last legs in the fridge. I wanted to make use of what I already had on hand, but I was already really hungry. So, lunch had to come together quickly and easily. This meal would turn out to be a wonderful surprise in ease and deliciousness.
*NEW VIDEO: How to Cook BBQ Tempeh*
Update: Since this recipe has been so popular, I made a quick video to accompany the below recipe for those of you who like more visuals. Click here to view the video if the above player isn’t working for you.
Please consider giving the video a thumbs up and subscribing if you liked it!
BBQ Tempeh Recipe and Greens Recipe Details
After doing so well kicking off my day with lots of veg (spinach and onion in that tasty dill-egg-scramble), I knew I wanted to get a great serving of vegetables with lunch.
I have had swiss chard getting bigger and bigger in my garden for awhile, so I decided to pluck some leaves from that plant. I also knew I had some kale (from the farmer’s market the week before) in the fridge. I combined the two for a powerhouse-combination of great greens. Some chopped onions chillin in the freezer would be a quick addition to add instant flavor.
Here’s the first recipe:
Tangy Power Greens
Want a quick and easy vegetable side? This combination of nutritious greens come together in less than 10 minutes and without the need of blanching. Use frozen, chopped onions (a staple in the TCL house) to shorten the prep time. Multiply the recipe, as needed, for a larger serving size.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8-1/4 chopped onion (I used frozen for convenience, but you can fresh-chop some)
- 6 cups packed greens (I used swiss chard and curly kale, but spinach and other greens that don’t require blanching would work)
- 1/4 cup broth/stock or water (I used water since I didn’t have any broth, but broth/stock would be more flavorful)
- 4 sprays of Braggs liquid amino, optional
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook till translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add greens and water and cook till wilted, about 5-6 minutes.
- Spray in Braggs, add apple cider vinegar and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute to bring flavors together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with BBQ tempeh (recipe follows).
BBQ Tempeh and Tangy Power Greens Recipes
I snacked on tortilla chips whilst whipping this dish up. Before serving, I used some smaller broken pieces to garnish the top. Pretty and tasty!
BBQ Tempeh couldn’t be easier. The flavor is best when combined with homemade BBQ sauce, but the bottled kind will work just as well. This is the easiest way I’ve ever prepared tempeh before, and it packs a lot of flavor with very little effort. Talk about high ROI! Gluten-free options are available for all ingredients – check the labels when you’re grocery shopping.
- 1 8-ounce package of tempeh, sliced to make short strips, 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup homemade BBQ sauce, click to see which one I used (or sub bottled BBQ)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Combine tempeh and BBQ sauce in a bowl. Gently stir to coat all sides of tempeh slices. Marinate for 5-10 minutes (while you prep the greens for the previous recipe)
- Heat oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add tempeh and cook till each side is golden brown, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Serve with Tangy Power Greens (previous recipe). Enjoy!
Time-saving tip: Marinate the tempeh while you prep the greens for the previous recipe.
Note: Feel free to marinate your tempeh longer for extra flavor – from 1 hour to overnight.
Click here to view a list of more easy and delicious recipes. Are you more visual? Click here to browse The Chic Life recipes by picture.
More Tempeh Recipes You May Like
- Teriyaki Tempeh Bowls
- Green Curry Tempeh Bowl with Green Peas
- Maple Dijon Baked Tempeh
- Vegetarian (or Vegan) Tempeh Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- Tangy Tamari Tempeh Noodles Recipe
More Greens Recipes
- Kale Chips – plus my tips on how to make these successfully
- Piña Colada Green Monster Smoothie
- Kale, Sweet Potato, Lentil Soup
- Chicken, Barley, Swiss Chard Soup
Click here for 10 easy kale recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoy this Easy BBQ Tempeh and Tangy Power Greens Recipes blog post and video!
📌 Pin these graphics on your favorite “Healthy Recipe”, “Gluten Free Recipes”, or “Vegan Recipe” boards: