The Weekly Food Challenge is BAAAAAACK!!!
To play, basically, you just make something during the challenge week with the weekly challenge food item and add your link to this post (leave a comment with your URL). See, simple!
This Week’s Challenge Item (8/9 – 8/15) – Chia Seeds:
Yes, chia seeds are related to the ch-ch-ch-chia infomercial product, but they are actually a nutritious addition to your diet.
According to WHFoods.com, chia seeds are a great source of fiber.
According to an article I found over at HealthyAlterEgo.org, chia seeds have “6X more calcium than milk, 3X more antioxidant power than fresh blueberries,15X more magnesium than broccoli, 20X more omega-3 than salmon, more fiber & omega 3’s than flaxseed and more protein than soy.” The article also goes on to explain that chia seeds are easier than flaxseeds to store and last longer without going rancid.
I’m a fan of using chia seeds in recipes involving liquid, because I just love the way those little seeds plump up in liquids and become all gelatinous. It’s so neat and the plumped-up seeds sort of remind me of one of my fave drinks – bubble tea.
Check out Chia Power for some more information on chia seeds.
You can find chia seeds in some health food stores and online.
- Sprinkle over oatmeal, salads, yogurt, toast (with PB or jelly, etc)
- Add to smoothies
- Cook in your oatmeal
- Chia Fizz drink by Clean Eating Magazine
- Chia Fresca Breeze by Kristen Suzanne – Courtesy of Navitas Naturals
- Chia Seed Raw “Tapioca” Pudding by Elanas Pantry (hoping to try this one later this week)
- Chia Raw Banana Coconut Pudding via Chia Power
- Raw Ginger Snaps by To Live Long and Prosper
- Chia Muffins by RealAge
- Pumpkin Chia Seed Muffins via Oprah.com
- Breakfast Bars by NuchiaFoods.com
- Dairy Free Chocolate Pudding by HealthDiaries.com
- Lemon Poppyseed Bread by Gluten Free Goodness
- Chia Gel (to use in other recipes) via mychiaseeds.com – see site for tips
How to Play:
Everyone is welcome to play, but unfortunately, there’s no prize this week. 🙁 I hope you’ll still play along for fun, though!
- Cook/prepare something during the challenge week (8/9 – 8/15) with chia seeds
- Do a blog post about what you made
- Add the Challenge banner (the muffin photo) to your blog post, optional
- Leave me a comment on this post to let me know you did your post so I can add you link to the list